On our journey to learn more about previous Cherokee homecomings, we went to our next stop, the 1970s. For this we went to Cherokee High School yearbook of 1974-75.
Styles were changing from casual sundresses and khakis to the hippie era, which we can see throughout the yearbook. Unlike the 1950s and 1960s, more diversity was entering the school and school spirit was booming.
News from the 1970s
- The Beatles announced that they had disbanded
- U.S. voting age is brought down from 21 years old to 18 after the 26th amendment is ratified
- HBO, the first U.S. cable subscription service, is introduced
- Belize and the Bahamas gain independence form the United Kingdom
- World population just hit an estimated four billion
- Vietnam War ends in 1975
- Bill Gates and Paul Allen create Microsoft
- Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak create Apple
- Panama gains back control of the Panama Canal from the United States
- First Garfield strip is posted in the newspapers
- Sony comes out with the walkman
- Michael Jackson releases his debut solo album “Off the Wall”